Jhilmil Recommends: Mental Health News - Anxiety and Depression often go hand in hand
Every month, Jhilmil Breckenridge, a writer, poet and activist brings you the best curated stories from around the web on mental health, creativity and more. In this issue, she dwells on people’s battle with anxiety and depression often considered two sides of the same coin. Read on and leave a comment at the end of the article. We would love your feedback!!
1. A really well-written account by someone who suffers from high functioning anxiety. High functioning means you look perfectly well and happy on the inside, but have a disease or dysfunction of some sort. Read on:
2. A fabulous video interview where Leonard Cohen, one of my favourite musicians and poets speaks about his battle with depression and how he made peace with it.
3. A recent interview with Katinka Newman (award winning freelance documentary film maker, published author and investigative journalist) where she describes her descent into hell… pain after a marriage breakup which would have healed had she stayed present with the pain, instead she went to a Harley Street psychiatrist who pronounced her depressed and started her on medication… and her ensuing story. Do read and see what drugs can do, if you do not need them. Realise that sometimes moods and pain changes… just be patient.
4. Its good to sleep. A really great account of sleeping as a means to coping with depression and anxiety.
5. From Oprah’s website, Martha Beck (American sociologist, life coach, best-selling author) on how to survive the rocky road that is life.
Read Jhilmil's recommendations for previous months:
Jhilmil Breckenridge’s writing often worries about issues of feeling lost in a changing world, the immigrant or foreign experience, love, loss and longing, and nostalgia for times gone by and campaigns tirelessly in the field of mental health advice, support and advocacy. She is also a trained yoga teacher, trained in the Bihar School of Yoga’s hatha yoga therapies, as well as a teacher of Pranic Healing.