Skip to main content
Submitted by Greesh Nayar on 27 April 2016

I am 73 yrs.male having diabetes-2 for the last 28 yrs.and taking oral medicenes Zita 100 mg..glimaday forte and gimaday-11,along with vitamin supplements and blood pressure medicine.I am also taking BG-34 aryuveic medecine along with these medicens.It takes 3 hrs.for the blood sugar levels to get normal after meals.As,i take dinner at 7.45 p.m. my blood sugar level is within the normal diabitics range bue usually gets between 50-60 in the morning.In case,i take two biscuits at 9.30 p.m.then the morning levels are between 75-85.What should i do so the levels get normal after 2 hrs.of the meals and the fasting level in the morning can be normal.

Communities

Dr S. Patel

Fri, 04/29/2016 - 10:02

Hi Greesh, post-meal blood sugar levels depend on the metabolism of the body and varies from person to person. It usually take 1-5 hours and for purposes of easy testing an average of 2 hour testing is done. Your morning blood glucose levels seem to be under control, so I would not worry too much about it.

Dr S. Patel

Sat, 04/30/2016 - 10:05

For low blood sugars in the morning, it may help to check blood sugar levels 3-4 hours after dinner and at around 2am to gage how the insulin is working. If it is low after dinner, a bedtime snack may help increase the level. Are you having any restlessness, sweating, palpitations or nightmares at night? If this does occur, you may need to adjust your night time dosage to avoid hypoglycaemia through the night.

Hi Greesh,
As Dr Shital mentioned, your morning blood glucose level seems to be under control.
You can easily maintain the blood glucose through regular exercise (like walking 15-20mins) and right intake of food like:
Breakfast--roti with dhal, a dosa with tomato chutney and vegetables(for fiber) or a slice of whole meal bread with egg or channa (2 tablespoon-cooked) or barley porridge with vegs.
Mid morning--baby carrots or cucumber or vegetable salad (1/2 cup) or 1 cup of veg soup.
Lunch with white rice/brown rice-cooked (1/2 cup/75g/2oz) with 2 tablespoon of non starchy vegetables (like-- spinach, french beans, okra, mushrooms) 2 tablespoons/40g of coooked beans( like moong, rajma, channa) or fish 40g or an egg and a tablespoon of yogurt.
Mid afternoon-- a small apple or pear or a handful of peanuts with a glass of low fat milk
Dinner---Roti with dhal and veg sabji, yogurt 1 tablespoon
Bed time--- low fat milk 1 cup or a small apple or 2-3 crackers.

The above meal plan is just a sample.
You, pls try to implement more vegetables like cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, beans, string beans, bitter gourd, snake gourd, raddish, swiss chards, other greens and fruits like papaya 100g, berries,small plum 60g, small pear 60g, banana without skin (60g)
Practice walking everyday- minimum 15mins :-)